The Tasmanian Yacht Club, the first in Tasmania was founded in Hobart in 1859 but lapsed. Revived in 1861 it again failed because of lack of guidance and support. In 1874, the Derwent Sailing Boat was formed with some 60 members, and in 1876 its name was changed to the Derwent Yacht Club. When this club lost some of its enterprising spirit, the Derwent Sailing Boat Club was resurrected in 1880. This club has continued ever since and is now the Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania. In 1884 the name of the club was changed to the Derwent Sailing Club and was again changed back in 1899 to the Derwent Yacht Club. Finally in 1908 a Royal Warrant was granted to “The Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania”. In 1910 the present burgee was designed and approved for use by members.
Sunday, 20 May 2018 / Published in