The Sandakan Yacht Club (SYC) was established in early 1952 and has been operating continuously under the same name making SYC one of, if not the oldest Yacht Club in Malaysia.
Amongst the founders of the Club were Mr. Robin Gossip (Chartered Bank) as the first Commodore, Mr. John Sykes (Chairman of Sandakan Town Board) and Mr. A.R. Dusty Miller (Superintendent of police).
The object of SYC is to encourage interest in Sailing, motor boating, fishing and other sea sports. The initial membership of 45 has grown to over 500 today.
SYC has also forged many affiliations with Clubs both within Malaysia and internationally. Situated just off the northern end of Sandakan Town, along Buli Sim-Sim Road, SYC has grown from a humble beginning of a small wooden structure built along the waterfront, to become one of the more established maritime landmarks clearly visible to seafarers entering and leaving the Sandakan Harbour