The beginning of the road
His Excellency the Governor, Sir Frederick Weld, was the Patron of the SYC; W.H. Read was the Commodore of the Club.
Walter Nutt, President of the Club
1897: The members of the SYC became honorary members of the Singapore Rowing Club; the SYC became inactive.
1919: The SYC was revived; Walter Nutt was elected President of the Club.
Officially named Royal Singapore Yacht Club
1920: The clubhouse in Trafalgar Street, Tanjong Pagar was opened by His Excellency the Governor, Sir Laurence Guillemard.
1921: The Singapore Rowing Club combined with the SYC.
1923: Sir Thomas Lipton presented the Lipton Challenge Cup to the RSYC.
Members of RSYC participated in Olympic games
1966: Official opening of Jalan Buroh Clubhouse by First President Yusof Ishak
1967: RSYC changed its name to the Republic of Singapore Yacht Club after President Yusof bin Ishak became a patron
Active Sailing & Boating Community
1970s: Active Sailing & Boating Community
1997: President Ong Teng Cheong became patron of RSYC
1999: RSYC moved to its present premises in Aug 1999 at West Coast Ferry Road, which was officially opened by then President of Singapore Ong Teng Cheong
Acknowledged as a heritage site by National Heritage Board
2000: RSYC was acknowledged as a heritage site by National Heritage Board
2001: RSYC club house was awarded design award in the recreational building catergory
From 2000 – present: Active in local sailing & organizes annual signature event – RSYC Regatta
President SR Nathan became patron of RSYC
2003: President SR Nathan became patron of RSYC
2004: Royal visit by King Harald V of Norway
2005: Royal visit by Prince Albert II of Monaco
2006: Visit by Sec-Gen of United Nations Mr Ban Ki Moon
2006: Visit by Iconic Sailor Dame Ellen MacArthur & Her Team
President SR Nathan was guest of honour at RSYC’s Charity Golf
2009: President SR Nathan was guest of honour at RSYC’s Charity Golf
2010: President SR Nathan graced the launch of RSYC Heritage Book, “Three Burgees”
2012: Former President SR Nathan officiated the opening of a 5-storey dry stack
2014: Opened the extension wing of the Marina Lodge
Completed the building of breakwater with much fanfare
2016: Opened its newest facility – Rooftop Tennis Court
2018: Completed the building of breakwater with much fanfare